This bench glider has been out in my yard in the elements for almost 5 years. It was there when we bought the house, and it was in a terrible state of neglect. I decided to clean it up, give it a makeover and use it for seating on my patio.
After scrubbing the bench I used a rotary sander and sanded down the slats. There were a few missing nuts and bolts that I matched and replaced, using Loctite to keep them from becoming loose.
To make sure any painting I did would last, I sprayed the metal and wood with Rustoleum Primer. A day or so later, I sprayed the bench with Rustoleum glossy black spray paint. We had a few windy days which delayed the project.
I finished up the bench with a new cushion which I had a friend upholster in a black and white Sunbrella fabric. Adding a few decorative pillows from Pier One completed the project!
The bench went from neglected to fabulous, and the project cost less than $70! And, I love it!